An Ordinance to establish the Bangabandhu National Agriculture Award Fund.
WHEREAS it is expedient to establish a fund for the institution of national awards to promote the cause of agricultural development and to provide incentive and encouragement to efforts made in this direction, and for matters ancillary thereto; NOW, THEREFORE, in pursuance of the Proclamations of the 20th August, 1975, and the 8th November, 1975, and in exercise of all powers enabling him in that behalf, the President is pleased to make and promulgate the following Ordinance:-
1. This Ordinance may be called the 2[ Bangabandhu] National Agriculture Award Fund Ordinance, 1976.
2. In this Ordinance, unless there is anything repugnant in the subject or context,- (a) “agriculture” includes crop production, vegetable and fruit farming, dairy farming, livestock and poultry farming, fish cultivation and forestry; (b) “Award” means the National Agriculture Award instituted under section 5; (c) “Board” means the Board of Trustees set up under section 4; (d) “Fund” means National Agriculture Award Fund established under section 3.
3. (1) There shall be established a fund to be called the National Agriculture Award Fund. (2) To the credit of the Fund shall be placed- (a) grants made by the Government ; (b) grants made by any local authority, statutory body or other body corporate; (c) donations made by any individual, association or institution; (d) income accruing from investment made out of the moneys of the Fund. (3) The moneys credited to the Fund shall be held by the Board in trust and shall be kept in a bank.
4. (1) There shall be set up a board to be known as the Board of Trustees of the National Agriculture Award Fund which shall consist of the following Trustees, namely:- (a) the Minister-in-charge of the Ministry of Agriculture, who shall also be the Chairman of the Board; 1[ (aa) the Minister-in-charge of Forest & Environment; (aaa) the Minister-in-charge of Fisheries and Livestock;] 2[ (aaaa) two Members of Parliament to be nominated by the Government;] (b) a retired Judge of the 3[ Supreme Court of Bangladesh] to be nominated by the Government who shall continue to be a Trustee till his successor is nominated; (c) the Vice-Chancellor of the University of Dhaka, ex-officio; (d) the Vice-Chancellor of the Agricultural University, ex-officio; (e) one non-official to be appointed by the Government for a term of one year; (f) the Secretary, Ministry of Agriculture (Agriculture Division), who shall also be the Secretary to the Board. (2) The Board shall be a body corporate having perpetual succession and a common seal with power, subject to the provisions of this Ordinance, to acquire, hold and dispose of property, both movable and immovable, and shall by the aforesaid name sue or be sued.
5. (1) The Board shall institute one or more national awards to be called the National Agriculture Award. (2) The Award shall be made annually and shall carry a citation and such amount in cash as may be determined by the Board from time to time. (3) The cash amount of the Award shall be paid out of the moneys of the Fund. 1[ (4) The Award may be granted to any person or organisation including a co-operative society who or which has- (a) achieved high productivity in agriculture or whose research or invention is beneficial to the cause of agriculture or who or which shows new direction for the development of agriculture in Bangladesh or published any book or article of immense value for the cause of agriculture development in Bangladesh; (b) played an important role or contributed to the preservation of environment and to the invention of new technology for the preservation of environment or to the protection of public life from environmental pollution; (c) contributed to the invention of different technologies in agricultural development through bio-tech, hybrid seeds, tissue culture, environment friendly and sustainable agriculture system, etc.] (5) In any year the Award may be divided between two or among more persons or organisations if, in the opinion of the Board, all such persons or organisations are eligible for the Award. (6) If, in the opinion of the Board, there is no suitable person or organisation for the Award in any year, the Board may withhold the Award for that year.
6. The Board shall have power- (a) to do or cause to be done all acts and things necessary for the grant of the Award; (b) to take all measures necessary for the proper administration and management of the moneys of the Fund; (c) to sanction expenditure connected with the administration and management of the Fund; (d) to invest moneys of the Fund in Government securities or in other profitable ventures or in such other manner as it may deem fit; (e) to do or cause to be done all things ancillary or incidental to the purpose of the Fund.
7. The meetings of the Board shall be held on such date and at such time and places and in such manner as may be prescribed by rules: Provided that until rules are made in this behalf, the meetings of the Board shall be held as and when convened by the Chairman.
8. The accounts of the Fund shall be audited by not less than two auditors being chartered accountants within the meaning of the Bangladesh Chartered Accountants Order, 1973 (P.O. No. 2 of 1973), who shall be appointed by the Board.
9. (1) The Board may make rules for carrying out the purposes of this Ordinance. (2) In particular, and without prejudice to the generality of the foregoing provision, such rules may provide for all or any of the following matters, namely:- (a) the procedure to be observed at a meeting of the Board and the number of Trustees required to form a quorum; (b) the procedure to be followed by the Board in making selection of person or organisation for the Award; and (c) the manner in which and the persons by whom proposals or recommendations for the Award may be made.
10. (1) The P.O. No. 29 of 1973 is hereby repealed. (2) Upon repeal of the said P.O. all assets and moneys acquired thereunder shall become the assets of the Board of Trustees and moneys of National Agriculture Award Fund under this Ordinance.